Tuesday, January 22, 2013

Snow Days at their Finest

Paris is known for its wet, cold winters.  However, lucky lucky me, it's been snowing this whole week!  Normally, it doesn't stick to the ground but all those huge, flimsy snowflakes create a perfectly breathtaking view.


To my delight, I woke up on Sunday and found that snow DID indeed stick.  I live on a small one way street, so traffic is minimal and within the hour, I could hear a group of kids playing outside.  Another half hour passes and my roommates and I hear a snowball hit our window.  I go to look outside and see the two kids I care for, their dad, and about 10 more kids outside having a snowball fight.  Before I know it, one of my roommates is joining the "battle" and after two more snowballs hit our windows (by my kid's dad of all people...) I'm putting on my outdoor clothes as well.  The second I get outside kids I don't even know are already aiming snowballs at me.  I'm not lying when I tell you I haven't been in a snow ball fight, let alone made or thrown a snowball, in at least 5 years.  As a 24-year-old throwing snowballs amongst kids between the ages of 6 and 15, let me just say that I had the BEST time.

Within 10 minutes of being out on the street, another 10 kids had joined us.  The most surprising thing for me to see was that their parents had come outside too.  I don't even mean that they were standing on the sidelines watching...no, these parents were full on involved in this snowball fight.  The whole street had become taken over by kids and adults throwing snowballs from one side to the other side.  People were crouching behind cars, dodging hits left and right, making runs for the other end of the sidewalk-- it was a top notch snowball fight battle.

I even made some enemies.  I say kids, but don't be deceived...some of those kids were out to get me.  At first, I only aimed at the torso and I didn't pack my snowballs very hard.  By the end, I was legit thinking up strategies and sneaking up on them in order to get a clean head shot.  Call me a horrible person, but if I didn't defend myself in a manner that was taken seriously, I'd probably be all sorts of patched up right now.

Before I knew it, two and a half hours had gone by and I came back to my apartment with snow in my hood, pockets, and hair.  My fingers were frozen because apparently my gloves don't work properly. Now I know.  But I had a great time (despite developing a new deep found hatred for one of the neighborhood kids) and I couldn't remember the last time a snow day had me playing outside for that long.  To top it off, my friend Kate and I made some vin chaud (hot spiced wine..) and sipped it until every bit of cold had left my body.  mmmm yummy.

Also, nothing against you Patriots fans, but we went to The Great Canadian to watch the football games, and I am so happy with the results :)

bisous xoxox


No comments:

Post a Comment